Geek Boy and I spent the last couple of weekends watching the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy again. I can't begin to express how much I love these movies. I love them as much as I love the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. That doesn't say much other than I seem to have some strange fascination with buccaneers, does it? Blame a childhood filled with old Steve Reeves and Errol Flynn movies for the love of all things pirate that makes me brave crowds, heat/rain/cold/random inclement weather, and face my fear of amusement park rides--i.e. death traps--to enjoy some pillaging, plundering, and skullduggery.
How Do I Love Pirates? Let Me Count The Ways.
1. I'm not really an amusement park person. For example, I don't like rides that go very fast, go upside down, bank, drop, --you know, rides that move. But I'll get on Pirates over and over, despite the drop. And I sing every time.
2.I'll stand in a huge line in the L.A. summer heat to get on the ride. More importantly, I don't even whine about it.
3. Some of the cats that I've had over the years share their names with the boats on the ride. There's Aimee, Sabine, Josephine and Josette. They weren't named after the boats, but I still think it's cool. Yeah, I'm that lame.
4. Geek Boy would imply that I love the ride because of the animatronic Captain Jack Sparrow . Lies and calumny, I say! My favorite captain is Hector Barbossa, whose likeness also appears on said attraction. So there.
I never said he was the prettiest pirate. Oh, and MONKEY!
5. The doggie who holds the keys is the cutest thing ever. (Photo courtesy of The Hemmingford Dog Blog)
6. I like yelling "We wants the redhead!" in public. For no particular reason. Cracks me up every time.
7. My Facebook page language is set to Pirate.
8. I've dressed as a pirate captain for Halloween multiple times. Yes, the wench costumes are sexier and one of my outfits makes me look a bit like Captain Hook, but I don't care. My ship, my rules. However, I did share command of said imaginary vessel with Captain Geek Boy and he makes one hot pirate.
9. One of my favorite songs ever is "Jolly Roger" by Adam and the Ants. I stand by my opinion that the Disney costumers snagged Adam's look.
10. I celebrate "Talk Like A Pirate Day" every year. Even at work. Amazingly, I have yet to be fired.
Just for good measure:
Drink up, me hearties!